When partners live together, there is no statutory provision. Nevertheless, cohabitation has consequences on the rules applied by certain institutions, such as the tax and customs administration (partnership tax). If you want to live in the Netherlands, you may need a residence permit. In many cases, you must also apply for an extended residence visa before arriving in the Netherlands. This visa is also called a Temporary Residence Permit (MVV). Another option in the Netherlands is an agreement on cohabitation. It is a written agreement that clarifies some of the issues related to cohabitation. It makes sense for a notary to develop an official contract. In some cases, you may need a notarized cohabitation agreement to benefit from certain benefits, such as partner pension plans and ancillary benefits. If marriage or a registered partnership does not meet your needs, one last option would be to enter into a cohabitation agreement. In the Netherlands, partners can choose between two different forms of housing development, which are governed by law: they can marry or enter into a registered partnership. It is also possible to sign a cohabitation agreement and, of course, to live together without signing a formal agreement. If you want to keep your assets and debts separate, you can get a social contract from a notarized notary.

You ensure that your partnership agreement is registered in the register of matrimonial real estate that you can consult here. If you have been married to a European citizen for three years and have lived together in the Netherlands for one year, you can keep your residence card. If you have been in contact with a European citizen, you can keep your residence card if your relationship and cohabitation in the Netherlands lasted at least three years. Expats who do not wish to marry in the Netherlands can opt for a registered partnership or cohabitation agreement. It is possible to exclude certain objects from the condominium. B, such as inheritance or inheritance, such as inheritance or inheritance. This can only be done by the deceased. In addition, future partners may decide to have a marriage contract established by a notary. In this contract, potential partners enter into agreements on how they deviate from the general ownership community`s guidelines. When it comes to cohabitation, the biological mother automatically has parental responsibility. Your partner can take parental responsibility by recognizing the child and seeking joint parental responsibility.

Of course, it is possible to live together as a couple without official agreement. However, please note that cohabitation, even without formal agreement, will have some impact on the rules of certain institutions, such as the Dutch tax authorities. For example, cohabitation with someone could affect your benefits, allowances and tax returns. If a man and a woman who have a life agreement have a child, the woman is automatically the legitimate mother. Man must officially recognize fatherhood before being considered a legitimate father. In the Netherlands, there are two ways to recognize your relationship by law; they can get married or enter into a registered partnership. Both are possible between people of the same sex or the other sex. Learn more about marriage, marriage and registered partnership. Cohabitation contracts are ideal for couples in the Netherlands who wish to live together and share their finances and assets. B as bank accounts, purchased real estate or mortgages. It is customary for this agreement or contract to be drawn up by a notary, whereas this is only necessary if the couple wants to benefit from a partner pension plan. For couples who want to enjoy the benefits of marriage but do not want a traditional wedding, it is possible to have a registered partnership.

This gives the couple the same rights that a couple could have in the Netherlands.