For a financial agreement to be a binding agreement between the parties, it must meet the strict requirements of the law. It is therefore imperative that a party, when it wishes to enter into a financial agreement before a marriage or a de facto relationship, during a relationship or after separation, seeks independent legal advice regarding its rights, rights and the appropriate document to formalize its agreement. You`ll find information on how the law handles superannuation sharing and how to organize splitting orders in the Superannuation section on this site. This will save you time and money if you reach an agreement without going to court. You also know exactly what each of you will receive, whereas if you go to court, you are waiting for a judicial officer who decides for you. In addition, lengthy court proceedings can increase stress and increase the pressure you and your family are under. The VIIIAB part of the act provides that financial agreements relating to de facto relations are as follows: a court can annul the agreement and impose it. Situations in which this is possible are provided for in Section 90K (Married Couples) and Section 90UM (De facto Couples) of the Family Act 1975. For a financial agreement to be legally binding, you must have both: there are strict requirements for financial law agreements that are binding. If one of the above conditions is not met, the court may set aside the agreement and not apply it. If, de facto, partners who have a financial agreement marry, the financial agreement becomes invalid.

The parties are then required to enter into another financial agreement under Section 90C of the Act. For more information on the process of formalizing your agreement, please visit How do I – Apply For Property and Financial Orders and Applying to the court for orders fact sheet. A binding financial agreement is an agreement between two or more persons that complies with the Family Act 1975 (Cth). The binding financial agreements deal with the distribution of ownership between the parties, the superannuation and/or maintenance of the spouses.